Diversity Walls is a fully funded program run by Hunter Multicultural Communities that will deliver art workshops and mural painting opportunities with high school groups and organisations working with young people.
The program is designed to advocate harmony, resilience, tolerance and social harmony. A professional mural artist will host art workshops with young people focussing on mural painting skills and discussing the themes relating to ‘diversity’. Participants will be encouraged to share their stories of how they may have experienced or witnessed racism, conflict or threats and how they reacted or were affected.
A mural design will be prepared by the Artist which has been inspired by the themes raised in the art workshops. Participants will then be invited to a mural painting day at the mural site on a wall in their local community.
BENEFITS FOR YOUNG PEOPLE
- Opportunity to discuss issues relating to multiculturalism in a safe environment
- Learning new skills – sketching, painting, marking up a mural, mural installation
- Building self-esteem through learning new skills
- Gaining vocational knowledge about the day to day life/ career of professional muralist
- Working together as a team
- The murals will work as powerful and ongoing advocates for harmony, resilience and social harmony.
- Public art has been proven to have a strong impact on the way communities use spaces, and the way they take ownership of, and relate to, public space. This will be particularly powerful given the themes within the murals.
PROFESSIONAL ARTISTS - THE WALL STATION
Hunter Multicultural Communities is partnering with The Wall Station who are a mural and public artwork agency working with some of Australia’s most prominent street artists and muralists. The Wall Station specialise in community, council and school mural projects and will work closely with Hunter Multicultural Communities and partnering organisations to deliver this exciting project in the Hunter Valley.
All of The Wall Station artists have a current working with children check and are experienced in hosting art workshops and mural installation days. All artists carry full public liability insurance.
You can read more about The Wall Station at http://thewallstation.com
HOW TO GET INVOLVED
If you’re interested in getting your high school or youth organisation involved in Diversity Walls, or you have a wall that you would like to have a mural painted on please contact: